The Fine Print
We reserve the right to change this policy at any given time, of which you will be promptly updated. If you want to make sure that you are up to date with the latest changes, we advise you to frequently visit this page.
What User Data We Collect
When you visit the website, we may collect the following data:
- Your IP address. (Marleyisms' website host, not Marleyisms personally)
- Your contact information and email address.
- Other information such as preferences.
- Data profile regarding your online behavior on our website (i.e. .
Why We Collect Your Data
We are collecting your data for several reasons:
- To better understand your needs.
- To improve our services and products.
- To send you emails containing the information we think you will find interesting.
- To contact you to fill out surveys and participate in other types of antiracism research specifically for Marley K. (i.e. what topics are on members' minds)
- To customize our website according to your online behavior and personal preferences.
Safeguarding and Securing the Data
Marleyisms is committed to securing your data and keeping it confidential. Marleyisms has done all in its power to prevent data theft, unauthorized access, and disclosure by implementing the latest technologies and software, which help us safeguard all the information we collect online.
The data we collect by using cookies is used to customize our website to your needs. After we use the data for statistical analysis, the data is completely removed from our systems.
Please note that cookies don't allow us to gain control of your computer in any way. They are strictly used to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not so that we can provide a better experience for you.
If you want to disable cookies, you can do it by accessing the settings of your internet browser.
Links to Other Websites
Restricting the Collection of your Personal Data
At some point, you might wish to restrict the use and collection of your personal data. You can achieve this by doing the following:
- When you are filling the forms on the website, make sure to check if there is a box which you can leave unchecked, if you don't want to disclose your personal information.
- If you have already agreed to share your information with us, feel free to contact us via email and we will be more than happy to change this for you.
Becoming a member means you agree to the Terms of Service for Marleyisms. There is nothing shifty going on here.
Marleyisms Commenting Policy
Marleyisms is a sharing and learning community. Because we discuss race in an unvarnished fashion, I don't want to over-police the way we think or speak. The entire reason I'm here in the first place is because Black thought and speech are suppressed by racist algorithms and White-centered artificial intelligence. We may not always agree, but we can be respectful of thoughts different from our own.
Here at Marleyisms, we try our best to make sure that the discussions on our articles are troll, spam, and abuse free but we’re not perfect. Marley loves comment sections because they can be a great place for interaction with readers, writers and even for spawning stimulating conversation.
To ensure that you have a good time here at Marleyism, please make sure to stick to the following guidelines:
- Be polite – don’t be rude to anyone and respect others. If something that would get your ass handed to you in the streets, please don’t say it here. If you can't fight in-person, don't pick any here. If you are unable to stand on your words, then you probably shouldn't speak them. Remember there is a person behind the screen and your words affect people. We are here to teach and talk, not to harm.
- We don't do White Fragility here. Racism doesn't feel good. We discuss things that may be sensitive in nature. You can choose to take it personal and lash out (I can promise you it won't end well for you if you do), or you can meditate on your own feelings in the privacy of your home, regroup, and come correct. I don't tolerate White fragility, and Marley doesn't honor calls from White folks to be nice in order to be heard or respected. Racism is harmful to have to deal with. If you can't understand racism is more important that one's feelings on hearing about racism, this platform isn't for you and neither is my comment section. You will be gathered if you're not here to learn, inquire, discuss, or share on the subjects you choose to engage in. Stay on topic.
- Don’t troll. We appreciate and welcome criticism towards writers here, but comments that add no value to the discussion or that are merely insulting would be deleted without exception. Trolls, and individuals abusing our commenting policy may also be banned from commenting in the future. There are plenty of places to troll people with little or no repercussions. Go there. It's one of the reasons Marley K left Medium. Nobody has time to deal with trolls.
- Spam? Goodbye. We don't want any spam in my comments. No adds, not nothing! If your suggestions don't align with the subject, please don't post them. We are all for referring readers to other great resources, sharing good books, websites, articles, etc., but don't spam our community. Please refrain from posting or we’ll give you a hand and show both you and your post the door.
To put it plainly, our guidelines boil down to “Don’t be an asshole”. If you don’t follow any of these guidelines, not only will our moderators remove the comment but we may also ban you from participating in the discussions. If you find any comments which violate our guidelines, please make sure to ‘flag’ or ‘mark as spam’ – our moderators highly appreciate your support.